HHS Financial Policy Library
HHS financial policies and guidance covers many topical areas, much of which are provided through Office of Management and Budget (OMB) circulars. Below you will find links to those sites and to HHS financial guidance.
- OMB Circular A-102: Grants and Cooperative Agreements with State and Local Governments
- OMB Circular A-110: Uniform Administrative Requirements for Grants and Agreements with Institutions of Higher Education, Hospitals, and Other Non-Profit Organizations
- HHS Audit Reports Over 1 Year Old With Outstanding Balances To Be Collected As of September 30, 2012
- HHS Audit Reports Over 1 Year Old With Outstanding Balances To Be Collected As of September 30, 2011
- HHS Audit Reports Over 1 Year Old With Outstanding Balances To Be Collected As of September 30, 2010
- HHS Audit Reports Over 1 Year Old With Outstanding Balances To Be Collected As of September 30, 2009
- Federal Audit Clearinghouse
- OMB Circular A-50 (Revised): Audit Follow-up
- Bureau of Indian Affairs, Department of Interior - Title 25 -- Indians -- Part 276: (PDF-23 pages) Uniform Administrative Requirements for Grants
- Cash Management Improvement Act (CMIA) (Treasury)
The Cash Management Improvement Act governs the transfer of funds between the Federal Government and States for certain Federal assistance programs.
- Prompt Payment (Treasury)
The Prompt Pay Act requires Executive Departments and Agencies to pay commercial obligations within certain time periods and to pay interest penalties when payments are late.
- Memorandum: Class Deviation from the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) to Implement Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Policy Memorandum M-12-16, Providing Prompt Payment to Small Business Subcontractors* (GSA)
The Code of Federal Regulations (45 CFR Part 30) Claims Collection Section 30.18 entitled "Interest, penalties, and administrative costs" contains the basis for the Secretary to determine a higher interest rate than the current value of funds rate for delinquent debt to protect the Governments' interests. Treasury certifies a rate quarterly to the U.S. Public Health Service for delinquencies in the National Research Services Awards (NIH) 42 USC 288(c)(4) (B) and the National Health Services Corps Scholarship Program (HRSA) 42 USC 250 (B)(1)(A).
The Treasury utilizes the most comprehensive data available on consumer interest rates which is based on consumer lending rates obtained from the Federal Reserve Board's release entitled "Interest Rates on Selected Consumer Installment Loans at Reporting Commercial Banks" rounded to the nearest 1/8 of one percentage point to determine the certified quarterly rate. The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) utilizes this rate to charge interest for delinquent debts as authorized by HHS regulations.
HHS begins applying the Treasury "certified quarterly" interest rate on the day that HHS becomes entitled to recover funds. Upon receipt of Treasury's notification, HHS publishes the rate in the Federal Register. This rate is certified by Treasury near the end of a quarter or later. HHS applies that interest rate from the date the notification is published in the Federal Register.
- Federal Accounting Standards Advisory Board (FASAB) Statements of Federal Financial Accounting Concepts and Standards (as amended June 30, 2009)
- Treasury Financial Manual, Volume 1, Federal Agencies
- U.S. Standard General Ledger, FY 13 and FY 12 Reporting (August 2012)”
- OMB Circular A-11: Preparation, Submission, and Execution of the Budget (revised August 2012)
- OMB Circular A-123: Management Accountability and Control (2004)
- OMB Circular A-127: Financial Management Systems (2009)
- OMB Circular A-134: Financial Accounting Principles and Standards (1993)
- OMB Circular A-136 Financial Reporting Requirements (8/3/2012) (PDF-181 pages)
- Agency Financial Reports
- Archived Reports include:
- Financial Management Five Year Plans (FY 2000-04)
- Federal Managers’ Financial Integrity Act (FMFIA) (FY 2000-04)
- Federal Financial Management Improvement Act Reports (FFMIA) (FY 2000-04)
- Performance and Accountability Reports (FY 2000-06)
- Prompt Pay Statistics (FY 2000-04)
- U.S. Code (GPO) - Search all legislation.
- Code of Federal Regulations (GPO/NARA)
- Accountability of Tax Dollars Act of 2002 (ATDA) (P.L. 107-289) (PDF)
- Budget Enforcement Act of 1990 (P.L. 101-508)
- Chief Financial Officers Act of 1990 (CFO Act) (P.L. 101-576)
- Debt Collection Improvement Act of 1996 (P.L. 104-134)
- Federal Financial Assistance Management Improvement Act of 1999 (FFAMIA) (P.L. 106-107)
- Federal Financial Management Improvement Act of 1996 (FFMIA) (P.L. 104-208)
- Federal Managers’ Financial Integrity Act of 1982 (FMFIA) (P.L. 97-255)
- Government Management Reform Act of 1994 (GMRA) (P.L. 103-356)
- Government Performance and Results Act of 1993 (GPRA)
- Improper Payments Information Act of 2002 (IPIA) (P.L. 107-300)
- Information Technology Management Reform Act of 1996 (Clinger-Cohen Act) (P.L. 104-106)
- Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995
- Reports Consolidation Act of 2000 (P.L. 106-531)
- American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (P.L. 111-5)
- Federal Funding Accountability and Transparency Act of 2006 (P.L. 109-282)
- Government Performance and Results Modernization Act of 2010 (PDF-20 pages)
- Improper Payments Elimination and Recovery Act of 2010 (PDF-13 pages)
- Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, PL 111-148 (PDF-906 pages)
- Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010 (PDF – 55 pages)
Last Updated: 11//19/2013